Charles Senff McVeigh (June 3, 1883 in Richmond, Virginia – August 20, 1962) was a member of the Virginia Glee Club during the Glee Club 1904-1905 season. He was co-author (with Lewis D. Crenshaw) of the Virginia football song Hike, Virginia, and served on the editorial committee for the 1906 book Songs of the University of Virginia. He was also associate editor of the "University of Virginia Magazine," vice president of the Athletic Association, president of his Law School class, and King of the Hot Feet. He graduated from the University of Virginia in 1904 with a bachelors degree, and 1907 with a Law degree.
After completing his law degree, McVeigh moved to New York, where he became the senior partner in the law firm of Morris & McVeigh, and was chairman of the board of the Fulton Trust Company. He also served as a trustee of the United States Trust Company, the Achelis Foundation, the Lincoln Ellsworth Foundation, and the Bodman Foundation, and founded the American Wildlife Institute in 1935. It is reported that he administered the sale of his aunt's home, "Knollwood," in Syosset, Long Island, to the former King Zog of Albania and received "a bucket of diamonds and rubies" in payment.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- The Seventh General Catalogue of the Delta Tau Delta Fraternity. 1917. p. 375. http://www.mocavo.com/The-Seventh-General-Catalogue-of-the-Delta-Tau-Delta-Fraternity/301731/388.
- "Charles M'Veigh, Lawyer, 79, Dies: Former Chairman of Fulton Trust Practiced Here". New York Times. 1962-08-21. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F40712FF3C58107B93C3AB1783D85F468685F9.
- Songs of the University of Virginia. 1906. p. VI. http://books.google.com/books?id=nrQQAAAAYAAJ&lpg=PP12&ots=vLK9xhHJo6&dq=charles%20mcveigh%20%22university%20of%20virginia%22&pg=PP12#v=onepage&q=charles%20mcveigh%20%22university%20of%20virginia%22&f=false.
- Corks and Curls. 20. 1907. p. 72. http://books.google.com/books?id=mtlKAAAAYAAJ&lpg=PA156&ots=mZHvuH4IXc&dq=%22charles%20s.%20mcveigh%22%20virginia&pg=PA72#v=snippet&q=hotfeet&f=false.
- Hutto, Richard Jay (2005). Their Gilded Cage: The Jeckyll Island Club Members. p. 108. http://books.google.com/books?id=FNPoVchaehwC&lpg=PA108&ots=M0lcyPkKQ6&dq=%22charles%20senff%20mcveigh%22%201883&pg=PA109#v=onepage&q=%22charles%20senff%20mcveigh%22%201883&f=false.