Columbus Downing Tait Jr. (September 3, 1923 – April 20, 2011) was a member of the Virginia Glee Club during the Glee Club 1942-1943 season. Completing an undergraduate degree in philosophy at the University of Virginia in 1943 and a medical degree in 1947, he was also a member of the Raven Society, Pi Delta Epsilon, Nu Sigma Nu, Omicron Delta Kappa, Alpha Omega Alpha, the Jabberwock Society, and Phi Beta Kappa, and was the sports editor of College Topics during 1943-44.
The University of Virginia Magazine states:
- At the University, he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and had his own sports column in The Cavalier Daily. He was also a member of the Glee Club. He joined the Navy ROTC and was later a first lieutenant in the U.S. Navy. After an internship at Bellevue Hospital in New York City and residency at Compton Sanitarium in California and Rockland State Hospital in upstate New York, Dr. Tait received his certificate in psychoanalytic medicine and entered private practice in New York City. In 1964, he moved to Atlanta and became professor of psychiatry at Emory University and a training analyst at the Georgia Mental Health Institute. He also served as president of the Atlanta Psychoanalytic Society, of which he was a life member. In later years, he focused on his private practice, not retiring until 2010 at age 86.
References[edit | edit source]
- Corks and Curls. 1944. p. 89. http://interactive.ancestry.com/1265/40392_B065520-00084/241870331?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.com%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fgst%3d-6&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults#?imageId=40392_B065520-00089.
- "Columbus Downing Tait". Ancestry.com. http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/51537030/person/13215952259. Retrieved 2014-08-03.
- Corks and Curls. p. 38. http://interactive.ancestry.com/1265/40392_B065520-00038/241869858?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.com%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fgst%3d-6&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults.
- "C. Downing Tait". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. 2011-05-01. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/atlanta/obituary.aspx?n=c-downing-tait&pid=150664891. Retrieved 2014-08-03.
- Corks and Curls. Corks and Curls. 1947. p. 216. https://v3.lib.virginia.edu/catalog/uva-lib:2251047.
- "In Memoriam". University of Virginia Magazine. Fall 2011. http://uvamagazine.org/inmemoriam/decade/1940s9/#.UKOuboV8yAd.