Attending the University from 1892 to 1896 and graduating with a law degree, Craighill sang with the Glee Club in the Glee Club 1892-1893, 1893-1894, and 1894-1895 seasons. This period included the first season during which the Club toured outside the University grounds. He was also editor in chief of College Topics in 1894-95, and a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon, O.W.L., and the "Black Cat" club.
After graduation, he was a lawyer at Breed Abbott & Morgan in New York City in January 1921.
"The Good Old Song"[edit | edit source]
- Main article: The Good Old Song in the Making (1922 article)
Craighill was sometimes credited with authorship of the words to "The Good Old Song." In an article in the University of Virginia Magazine in October 1922, he disclaimed authorship of the first stanza of the song, saying "no one man should be credited with the authorship" and that it was the joint product of several students greeting a victorious football team in 1893. Nevertheless, he is understood to be the main author of the second and third stanzas, and played a significant role in helping to popularize the song from a one-time spontaneous crowd event to an unofficial "alma mater."
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Find-A-Grave". http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=109164308. Retrieved 2013-09-12.
- Barringer, Paul (1904). University of Virginia: its history, influence, equipment, and characteristics. Lewis. p. 355. http://books.google.com/books?id=mCbOAAAAMAAJ&vq=craighill%5C&client=firefox-a&pg=PA355#v=snippet&q=craighill&f=false.
- Corks and Curls. VIII. 1895. pp. 105ff. http://books.google.com/books?id=v6hVAAAAYAAJ&dq=editions%3AhhlOAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA105#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- Alumni Bulletin. XIV. January 1921. http://books.google.com/books?id=l9tKAAAAYAAJ&dq=%22university%20of%20virginia%22%20%22good%20old%20song%22%20craighill&pg=RA1-PA63#v=onepage&q=craighill&f=false.
- Dabney, Virginius (1981). Mr. Jefferson's University: A History. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press. p. 37. ISBN 081390904X. http://xtf.lib.virginia.edu/xtf/view?docId=2006_01/uvaBook/tei/b000325415.xml;chunk.id=d13;toc.depth=1;toc.id=d12;brand=default;query=craighill#1.
- Craighill, Edward A. (October 1922). "'The Good Old Song' in the Making". University of Virginia Magazine LXXXIII (1): 1. https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uva.x030771484;view=1up;seq=13.