George Latham Fletcher (May 19, 1874 – March 23, 1929; from Warrenton, Virginia) was conductor of the Virginia Glee Club during the Glee Club 1897-1898 season. He was also a member during the Glee Club 1895-1896 season. While a law student at the University of Virginia, he was a member of the V.V.V. Dramatic Club, the College Choir, Beta Theta Pi, Phi Delta Phi, Eli Banana, and the Z Society.
Graduating in 1898, he practiced law, served as judge (in the 28th Judicial Circuit of Virginia, in Warrenton) as well as two terms as state senator, and is mentioned in the correspondence of the Board of Visitors in 1916 and 1918. He remained active in the Alumni Association, serving as the secretary and treasurer of the Fauquier County chapter around 1908. Possibly the most memorable case over which he presided as judge was the divorce of future Duchess of Windsor Wallis Simpson from her first husband, in 1927.
References[edit | edit source]
- "George Latham Fletcher". Find-a-Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=25682179. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- "George Latham Fletcher". US World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 (Ancestry.com). https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/6482/005153686_00234/33991656. Retrieved 2019-07-19.
- "George Latham Fletcher". District of Columbia, Select Deaths and Burials Index, 1769-1960 (Ancestry.com). https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=60260&h=131722&ssrc=pt&tid=65266811&pid=130069718215. Retrieved 2019-07-19.
- University of Virginia Catalog, 1897-1898. p. 39. http://xtf.lib.virginia.edu/xtf/view?docId=2005_Q4_3/uvaBook/tei/z000000171.xml;chunk.id=d3;toc.depth=100;brand=default;query=fletcher.
- Corks and Curls. 11. 1897. pp. 42ff. http://books.google.com/books?id=6ahVAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA42#v=onepage&q=fletcher&f=false.
- Corks and Curls. IX. 1896. p. 54. http://books.google.com/books?id=0ahVAAAAYAAJ&dq=%22university%20of%20virginia%22%20%22bradford%20burwell%22&pg=PA56#v=onepage&q=powers&f=false.
- Catalogue of Beta Theta Pi. 1917. pp. 688,809. http://books.google.com/books?id=KGs4AAAAMAAJ&pg=PR413&lpg=PR413&dq=george+latham+fletcher&source=bl&ots=kudTdrpVjI&sig=EGUys373uyG5ylRZgM7LtylINyo&hl=en&ei=dUvNTe58gsvQAbX2wJYO&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CE8Q6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=george%20latham%20fletcher&f=false.
- Board of Visitors minutes. 1918-11-26. pp. 254ff. http://xtf.lib.virginia.edu/xtf/view?docId=2006_09/uvaGenText/tei/bov_19181126.xml;chunk.id=d3;toc.depth=100;brand=default;query=fletcher.
- University of Virginia Record. I. February 1908. p. 240. http://xtf.lib.virginia.edu/xtf/view?docId=2005_Q2_1/uvaBook/tei/z000000191.xml;chunk.id=d324;toc.depth=1;toc.id=d322;brand=default;query=fletcher#1.
- King, Greg (1999). The Duchess of Windsor: The Uncommon Life of Wallis Simpson. p. 70. http://books.google.com/books?id=VpKatnzbYJEC&lpg=PA70&ots=hNYOb85vx_&dq=%22george%20latham%20fletcher%22%20state%20senate&pg=PA70#v=onepage&q&f=false.