Gilbert J. "Gilly" Sullivan (born July 5, 1928 in Fredericksburg, VA, died January 5, 2009 in Charlottesville, VA) was the longtime director of the University of Virginia Alumni Association for 35 years. Appointed to the position in 1958 after the retirement of J. Malcolm "Mack" Luck, Sullivan remained in the position until his retirement in 1993. During his years at the Alumni Association, he helped develop the Virginia Student Aid Foundation (now the Virginia Athletics Foundation) and significant expansion of the Jefferson Scholars Program.
Sullivan attended the University as an undergraduate and received his B.S. in Commerce in 1948. While a student he was a varsity quarterback in football and was a member of Omicron Delta Kappa, T.I.L.K.A., the Z Society, the Raven Society, and Sigma Alpha Epsilon social fraternity.
Sullivan was a director emeritus of the Jefferson Scholars Foundation and a trustee emeritus of the University of Virginia College of Arts & Sciences Foundation. Additionally, he served as a general in the United States National Guard.
In his years as director of the alumni association, Sullivan was remembered for assisting numerous students, both individually and through assistance to student organizations. Two scholarships in his name continue that tradition. The Gilbert J. Sullivan Scholarship is awarded every year by the UVA Parents Committee to a current, non-legacy rising third year student who currently receives financial aid from the Office of Financial Aid and has a demonstrated record of citizenship, leadership, academic achievement and financial need. The Z Society endows a Gilbert J. Sullivan Internship Scholarship, awarded to a returning undergraduate student and "intended to provide an opportunity to take a summer internship otherwise unattainable because of financial constraints."
Other organizations honor Sullivan's memory. The Gilbert J. Sullivan Distinguished Service Award, "bestowed annually on an individual whose tireless efforts, selfless dedication, and continuing support have contributed in a significant way to the success of the Virginia Glee Club," is named in honor of Sullivan's efforts to ensure the Virginia Glee Club's continued existence when it separated from the McIntire Department of Music in the late 1980s.
- "Gilbert Sullivan". Fredericksburg.com. 2009-01-08. http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2009/012009/01082009/437470. Retrieved 2009-01-08.
- "Gilly Sullivan, Former U.Va. Alumni Association Director, Has Died". UVA Today. 2009-01-06. http://www.virginia.edu/uvatoday/newsRelease.php?id=7411. Retrieved 2009-01-07.
- "Sullivan to Retire From Alumni Association". Inside UVA. 1993-08-13. http://www.virginia.edu/insideuva/textonlyarchive/93-08-13/11.txt.
- Dabney, Virginius (1981). Mr. Jefferson's University: A History. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press. pp. 398. ISBN 081390904X. http://repo.lib.virginia.edu:18080/fedora/get/uva-lib:178665/uva-lib-bdef:100/getFullView.
- "National Advisory Board". Jefferson Scholars Foundation. http://www.jeffersonscholars.org/about/national.html. Retrieved 2008-05-13.
- "Trustees emeritus". The College Foundation, U.Va.. http://artsandsciences.virginia.edu/foundation/emeritus/trustees.html. Retrieved 2008-05-13.
- "Gilbert J. Sullivan Scholarship". UVA Parents Committee. http://hoosonline.virginia.edu/site/c.nmLZKfN4LzH/b.2574303/. Retrieved 2008-05-13.
- "The Z Society's Gilbert J. Sullivan Internship Scholarship Application" (DOC). http://www.career.virginia.edu/students/programs/internship/SullivanAwardApp2008.doc. Retrieved 2008-05-13.
- "Virginia Glee Club Alumni and Friends Newsletter" (PDF). Fall 2006. Archived from the original on 2011-07-28. http://web.archive.org/web/20110728161925/http://www.virginiagleeclubassociation.org/VGCAFA%20Newsletter%20-%20Fall%202006.pdf. Retrieved 2008-05-13.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|