The 1935-1936 season of the Virginia Glee Club was directed by Harry Rogers Pratt. The season was celebrated as the Glee Club's 50th anniversary season, meaning that the group of 1935 was dating itself from 1886 (this date is not supported by current research). The season's performances included a tour to New York City and the first Concert on the Lawn.
Officers during the season included Rial Rose, president; R.C.W. Jones, manager; Guy Hope, student leader (conductor); and Richard Turner, press representative. John Grier Varner was the associate leader (conductor) and Alfred Pew was the accompanist. Members of the Glee Club Quartet included Rial Rose, Winston Hope, Guy Hope, and Vincent Tramonte; as in other years, the Quartet performed independently of the Glee Club for some concerts, including a Washington, DC Alumni Association event.
Concerts[edit | edit source]
- Alumni Concert (1936)
- 50th Anniversary Concert (1936)
- Concert at Barnard College (1936) (part of New York City Tour (1936))
- Concert at the Plaza Hotel (1936) (part of New York City Tour (1936))
- Concert at Richmond Women's Club (1936)
- Concert at Sweet Briar (1936)
- Concert on the Lawn (1936)
- Women's National Farm and Garden Association Appearance (1936)
Tours[edit | edit source]
Coverage[edit | edit source]
- Rose, Rial (September 1935). "Yo Ho! Yo Ho! We'll Blow the Man Doowwn!". University of Virginia Magazine: 12ff.
- Bailey, Howard (1936-04-25). "Previews and Reviews". College Topics: p. 5. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ng4tAAAAIBAJ&sjid=52kEAAAAIBAJ&dq=glee%20club&pg=1213%2C2282396. - season review.
- "Gleemen Guzzle Gunthers Monday; Club to Gather for Final Meetings". College Topics: p. 1. 1936-05-02. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ng4tAAAAIBAJ&sjid=52kEAAAAIBAJ&dq=glee%20club&pg=5367%2C2359405.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Roster[edit | edit source]
This roster includes members listed in the program of the Concert at Richmond Women's Club (1936) and the 1936 Corks and Curls, and may not include all the members who participated in this season.
Second Tenor: F.C. Armistead, J.G. Armistead Jr., I.L. Avery, W.L. Baldwin, R.O. Deininger, J.E. Dill, H.B. Field, J. Gerber, E.F. Hershey, A.G. Hope, R.D. Pearce, Jr., C.K. Rhodes, Jr., A.C. Stever, T.J. Sullivan, A. Tramonte, J.G. Watson, L. Lee
First Bass: Robert Lee Auldridge, T.P. Cook, R.S. Copeland III, B. Diener, H.T. Egger, C.J. Faulkner, P. W. Fitzpatrick, T.S. George, J. Gerber, A.P. Gray, C.T. Hagan, W. Hope, W.W. Jones, T.J. Klinedinst, D.T. Merritt, R.S. Mickey, R.W. Murdock, W.T. Purdum, F.B. Rhein, G.B. Van Dusen, D.R. Webb
Second Bass: J.B. Bayer, W.N. Berkley, M. Couper, E.R. Dyer, Jr., Marx Eiserman, J.W. Hancock, A.E. Harvey, D.A. Jenkins, R.C.W. Jones, R.F. Loomis, R.W. Morrison, A.P. Pew, C.H. Robbins, L.P. Roper, R.N. Rose, C.M. Wade, McD. Wellford
References[edit | edit source]
- "Glee Club Journeys Northward Feb 26". College Topics: p. 1. 1936-02-04. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=nA4tAAAAIBAJ&sjid=52kEAAAAIBAJ&dq=glee%20club&pg=3201%2C1366214.
- "Sweet Briar and Virginia Glee Clubs Give Concert". College Topics: p. 1. 1936-04-28. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ng4tAAAAIBAJ&sjid=52kEAAAAIBAJ&dq=glee%20club&pg=4372%2C2301880.
|Previous season||Decade||Next season|
|1934-1935||Glee Club of the 1930s||1936-1937|