The Virginia Glee Club 1993 Kickoff Concert, the commencement of the Glee Club 1993-1994 season, was held in University Baptist Church on October 23, 1993. John Liepold conducted the group. The concert included performances of the "Kyrie" and "Gloria" movements of the Missa "Ave Maria" by Cristobal de Morales; the Glee Club would go on to learn the entire mass and perform it throughout the season.
The concert featured a joint performance with the Mary Baldwin College Choir.
Program[edit | edit source]
Mary Baldwin College Choir[edit | edit source]
- Regina Coeli (Gregor Aichinger (1564-1628))
- Nigra Sum (Pablo Casals (1876-1973))
- Three Folksongs (Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847))
- Wie kann ich froh und lustig sein?
- The Place of the Blest (Randall Thompson (1899-1964))
- Carol of the Rose
- The Pelican
- The White Island: or Place of the Blest
- Alleluia, Amen
- Sound the Trumpet (Henry Purcell (c. 1659-1695))
Mary Baldwin College Choir/Virginia Glee Club[edit | edit source]
- Three Madrigals (Emma Lou Diemer (b. 1927)
- "Oh, Mistress Mine, where are you roaming?"
- "Take, O take those lips away"
- "Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more"
Virginia Glee Club[edit | edit source]
- Non Nobis, Domine (William Byrd (1543-1623))
- Ave Maria (Plainchant)
- Missa Ave Maria (Cristobal de Morales (c. 1500-1553))
- Ave Maria (Adam Gumpelzhaimer (1599-1625)
- Ave Maria (Mark Keller (b. 1954))
- Inveni David (Anton Bruckner (1824-1896)) (Trombones: Tim Boda, Andrew Breen, Derek Ramsey, Don Webb)
- New Day (David/Knight)
- Poor Wayfaring Stranger (Moore/Loach)
- Hold On (arr. Eugene Thamon Simpson)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|1993 Fall Kickoff program|
Program courtesy of the collection of Jeff Slutzky.