Sylvanus Stokes (May 6, 1858 – October 27, 1934) was a member of the Virginia Glee Club during the Glee Club 1879-1880 season. Hailing from Richmond, Stokes was pursuing studies in political economy and in constitutional and international law during this year. While at Virginia he was in the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity; he also initiated the first ATO brothers in the North in Philadelphia in 1881.
Upon graduation in 1880 he practiced law in Richmond in partnership with Harry Marston Smith, Jr.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Sylvanus Stokes". Find-A-Grave. http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=sylvanus&gsln=stokes&msbdy=1860&msrpn__ftp=Richmond%2c+Independent+Cities%2c+Virginia%2c+USA&msrpn=24289&msrpn_PInfo=8-%7c0%7c1652393%7c0%7c2%7c3245%7c49%7c0%7c24255%7c24289%7c0%7c&uidh=qoc&pcat=BMD_DEATH&h=1299172&recoff=9+10&db=WebSearch-4119&indiv=1&ml_rpos=1. Retrieved 2013-11-11.
- "Collegiana". Virginia University Magazine XIX (3): 194-195. December 1879. http://books.google.com/books?id=QNlKAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA194&dq=Glee+club+%22university+of+Virginia%22#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- A catalogue of the officers and students of the University of Virginia, 1879-1880. 1880. p. 18. http://xtf.lib.virginia.edu/xtf/view?docId=2005_Q4_3/uvaBook/tei/z000000185.xml;chunk.id=d17;toc.depth=1;toc.id=d17;brand=default;query=stokes#1.
- "Collegiana". Virginia University Magazine XVIII (9): 588. June 1879. http://books.google.com/books?id=0NhKAAAAYAAJ&lpg=PA253&ots=8o6Awymkp_&dq=%22sylvanus%20stokes%22%20%22University%20of%20virginia%22&pg=PA588#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- "Virginia Delta History". http://www.student.virginia.edu/taus/history/delta.htm. Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- University of Virginia: Its history, influence, equipment and characteristics. II. 1904. p. 114. http://books.google.com/books?id=C4UyAAAAYAAJ&lpg=PA114&ots=5XLAgh4ko8&dq=%22sylvanus%20stokes%22%20%22University%20of%20virginia%22&pg=PA114#v=onepage&q&f=false.