William Patton Kent (March 8, 1857 – March 3, 1936) was a student at the University of Virginia during the Glee Club 1879-1880 season, the year that Woodrow Wilson was a member. (Kent was a student at the same time as Charles William Kent, who was a member of the Virginia Glee Club.) While at the University of Virginia he was associated with the Washington Society and the Virginia University Magazine (where he was editor in chief), and won the Magazine Medal in 1877 for an address on "The Moral Significance of the American Centennial."
He graduated from the University of Virginia in 1880 and proceeded into diplomatic service. He served as the Consul General in Guatemala at the appointment of Theodore Roosevelt. In 1909 he ran for the governorship of Virginia on the Republican ticket against William Hodges Mann, losing to Mann's 63.35% of the vote.
Kent's son, Tyler Gatewood Kent, was convicted of espionage in 1940 for passing thousands of secret US and UK government documents to a pro-German organization.
- "Consul General of the United States of America at Guatemala City, Guatemala". Bulletin of the International Bureau of the American Republics XXIX (5): 825. November 1909. http://books.google.com/books?id=S1Y3AQAAIAAJ&dq=%22william%20p.%20kent%22%20%22university%20of%20virginia%22&pg=PA825#v=onepage&q=%22william%20p.%20kent%22%20%22university%20of%20virginia%22&f=false.
- "Candidate - William P. Kent". OurCampaigns.com. http://www.ourcampaigns.com/CandidateDetail.html?CandidateID=99998. Retrieved 2014-01-19.
- "Collegiana". Virginia University Magazine XIX (3): 194-195. December 1879. http://books.google.com/books?id=QNlKAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA194&dq=Glee+club+%22university+of+Virginia%22#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- Patton, John S. (1906). Jefferson, Cabell, and the University of Virginia. p. 368. http://books.google.com/books?id=KsI3AAAAMAAJ&dq=%22william%20p.%20kent%22%20%22university%20of%20virginia%22&pg=PA368#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- "Sketch-Notes of Consul General William P. Kent". The Pan-American magazine 7 (2): 104-105. December 1908. http://books.google.com/books?id=4bBoAAAAMAAJ&dq=%22william%20p.%20kent%22%20%22university%20of%20virginia%22&pg=PA104#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- Larson, William (1982). Edward Younger. ed. The Governors of Virginia, 1860-1978. University Press of Virginia. pp. 159–169. ISBN 0-8139-0920-1.
- "The Alumni". Alumni Bulletin, University of Virginia VII (5): 661. October 1914. http://books.google.com/books?id=i_ccAQAAIAAJ&dq=%22william%20p.%20kent%22%20%22university%20of%20virginia%22&pg=PA661#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- Carroll, Francis M. (2005). The American Presence in Ulster. Catholic University of America Press. p. 121. http://books.google.com/books?id=dalnAAAAMAAJ&q=%22william+p.+kent%22+%22university+of+virginia%22&dq=%22william+p.+kent%22+%22university+of+virginia%22&hl=en&ei=zQbcTbyhPOnc0QHXwcy5Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CFsQ6AEwCA.
- Rand, Peter (2013). Conspiracy of One: Tyler Kent's Secret War against FDR, Churchill, and the Allied War Effort. Globe Pequot. http://books.google.com/books?id=s0XPVCFHExkC&pg=PA1&dq=%22william+patton+kent%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_SPcUp78GdWvsQT1yYCYBw&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22william%20patton%20kent%22&f=false.